ValkingBlog: CV Joints

ValkingBlog

Because there is more to life than just work...

Thursday, March 13, 2008

CV Joints


Well, if it's not one Volkswagen, it's another. Last week while making sure Zippy was up to par, Friday's constant CV noise became a vibration. So I knew what it meant, time to park her and order some CV (constant velocity) joints. Neat side story, ordered them from a fellow Thursday Morning, they were here with the mailman trying to deliver them Friday. I wasn't here so it was the following week (this week) before I got 'em, but man were they shipped fast.I've been going over the procedure time and time again to make sure I get it right. Funny how nice it is under an older VW turning wrenches. Tonight I pulled the driveshafts with the CV's & dust boots attached. I'll swap 'em out tomorrow on lunch (if I'm lucky) or after work and then put them back during the PM hours. One of the boots seems to have failed and that CV is pretty rough. I am guessing I have the vibration culprit.
Of course I'll know for sure after the work's all done. At the very least there's no doubt she needed it. The affected joint looks like it's got grit in it and is rough to say the least. Of course I'm not complaining, I got Friday for such a wonderful price, spending a little extra money and time is well worth it.
So far the score on day one of this job, fun. Minor aches from laying under the back end for a half our or two, but nothing major. I've read the next part can either be easy or pretty hard, never a certainty which. Well I guess we'll just see what tomorrow brings tomorrow. Keep your fingers crossed and wish me luck.
-Rob "Vanagon CV's are fun" D.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Who links to me? Get Free Shots from Snap.com