ValkingBlog: Sometimes you just need a knife

ValkingBlog

Because there is more to life than just work...

Thursday, August 14, 2008

Sometimes you just need a knife


It should come as a suprise to no one out there that I'm a fan of Spyderco knives. Have been for a long time. There's just a certain quality to them. A certain toughness. Well recently I got hold of a newer built Rescue of theirs and I'm here to tell you, they still have it. Without going on into the story of where and how i got this model, I'll say that I've been looking for something to add to my work knife selections. Usually I have a very small Kershaw on my utility pouch, but having started a recent third job that involves large animals and barn like conditions, I wanted something with a little more rope cutting potential. Man did I ever find it. This blade could probably cut it's way out of a phone book factory and still be hungry for more. Usually I have tried to stay in the steel handled Spyderco blades for collector value, so this one being a worker, the fiber reinforced nylon wasn't a problem. As you can see from the photo, this thing is all teeth. I haven't had a problem yet, from paper to leather, it's been thru it all and not balked once. The trick is keeping it sharp and I learned years ago a good ceramic rod will o just fine. (Better have the right sizes though). So if you're looking or a great blade, you could do a lot worse than this. I'll tell you though, I have no idea what the Byrd line they're bringing in from China is like. I'm trying to stay with Seki - Japan as long as I can.
-Rob "Seki City Rocks" D.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Who links to me? Get Free Shots from Snap.com