ValkingBlog: How to make a Custom Pelican Case

ValkingBlog

Because there is more to life than just work...

Sunday, August 03, 2008

How to make a Custom Pelican Case

I know, I know, it's probably already been done. Well, let's see. Yesterday Kiddo and I went to Bass Pro Shops and picked up a pair of Pelican 1010 cases. There wasn't much of a selection but we got what we needed. Seems Pelican's made a few changes to the proven little cases. A new style internal liner/seal has some air pocket waves built into it now, a little padding improvement, I'll bet. And externally the old cord on the strap slots is gone, replaced by a small karibiner. Slot for the biner is enlarged to fit it, nice touch. I'll miss the cord, but I've always been able to add my own, so I like the move to the mini-biner. (I haven't lost anything, I've gained a better spot to tie into.) So we ended up with clear cases. When you have clear cases the color of the seal comes into play, so we had black sealed clear topped cases. Since we wanted to tell them apart and make them not clear (hide the contents from curious eyes), painting became a natural option and all of a sudden I had a great idea. Nail Polish. At the moment, color choices on the micro cases is a little limited. Red, yellow, blue, and black I've seen... Oh and now more clear. So why not paint them internally and add a pad like the solid colored ones have? "I like this already," I was thinking. Any color nail polish that's available will suddenly become a custom case color. So just to find a color. Off to the CVS last night and viola! A nice greenish metallic. (Note on nail polish, a $5.99 color isn't a must have, one $.99 will do for the 1010) So here's in progress and finished case... I think the possibilities are endless, including all sorts of painting options, stripes, spots, you name it... Right now though, a simple one color. One bottle will do for the 1010, but 2 bottle to be sure isn't a bad idea. Depends on your coats. On the top, two, on the bottom, one, the liner makes sure nothing's seen. Obviously larger cases will need more polish. Nice hard finish, minimal odds of scratching up. So there it is, What'ya think?

-Rob "color me gone" D.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Who links to me? Get Free Shots from Snap.com