ValkingBlog: The Go Rack

ValkingBlog

Because there is more to life than just work...

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

The Go Rack

So the hunt continues. I’m looking for what needs to be on top of the Vanagon.

And I’ve found it. The go-rack (www.gorack.com). Let’s say I was searching aggressively for something that would let me pile it on.

It being anything from 4x8 sheets of plywood to say an office desk or cubicle panels. (I was thinking of useful at work) Or perhaps my yard cart wagon or camping gear if I’m going to a fly-in. (Yes, Powered Paraglider gang drives to fly-in’s… and sometimes camp when they get there.) On the top end of the spectrum they camp in the motorhome they drove in, on the realist version there are a fair number who still set up tents. Me, I set up a tent. Being able to pile the gear off and on would be a real plus. The Go-Rack has that covered. There is a modular approach to the system and in it, there’s a tote container (heck it looks like a small pick-up truck bed box) that can go right on top and lock in. Off the rack, wheels can be added, but in a camp site it looks like it’d be a great locker to keep everything from wild animals to nosey neighbors out of whatever you’ve put in it. For the rack on the vehicle, there are uprights that can be added to secure everything from bicycles to whatever you might push the envelope to…

I had a chance to talk with the creator of the rack, Mike McMillan. He’s a smoke jumper and photographer. Sounds like the kind of guy that knows what he wants in his equipment. It seems Mike was looking for the ultimate rack and nobody made quite what he wanted, so he made it himself. In email on the rack I had mentioned that I saw the ‘deck’ appearance of the system to be a real plus, whether intended to have a person or not on it, the ability to support the load of a person would rate to me as a real benefit. (I could stand on it to trim those oak trees branches for one thing.) One might sleep out under the stars on it, see things at a sporting event (say the local rugby tournament or soccer fields), or have a high perch at air shows or tailgate parties. Mike assured me he’d had a fair number of guys on his go-rack and he was looking at strengthening the production model a bit to make the potential use as a deck (if not for more than loading) a reality. I like very much the sound of that. I can’t ever see more than 2 people being on the top of the Vanagon, but I really like the ability. Heck, I’d even have to consider a ladder because I know I’d look for excuses to use it.

The Go Rack & Cargo Box

Mike says he’s looking at offering different sizes. The original is eight feet long. Nice. I could easily see a 4 foot model being useful too. I’d want the eight though. Even if I have to pony up for more Thule racks to support it (okay, I’m keeping my eyes open for more anyway) I’d want the eight.

Thinking even further on this, I’d bet that a deck like device placed 4 inches or so higher than the roof of a van or car might actually help prevent heat buildup on that vehicle’s roof. That might help keep temperatures down inside that vehicle. Might is a pretty big word here, But I bet I’m right. Spacing between the rood & deck would be the key, if there’s enough room to reduce heat transfer, the roof would be cooler. But I digress. Go take a look at www.gorack.com and see what Mike’s going to be offering. I think you’ll like it, I know I sure do.



The rack’s currently pre-production. I’m willing to say that if more people are able to express interest, it’d more than likely assist in getting the manufacturing process rolling. To that end I say, “Let’s roll.”






go rack

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Who links to me? Get Free Shots from Snap.com