ValkingBlog: My Dad's Cooler Than Yours

ValkingBlog

Because there is more to life than just work...

Saturday, August 25, 2007

My Dad's Cooler Than Yours


I’d like to start by saving my Dad is a dreamer. He’s the type that if he can dream it, he can do it. I have been privy to a lot of dreams over the years. A lot of them never happened. But a lot of them did. My Dad flew. My dad dreamed of flying, and I dreamed of flying too. I fly now. My parents owned Volkswagens when I was very young. The last one went when I was in middle school. My sister crashed it and it was never the same. It was relegated to the yard of lost dreams. Eventually I took it apart and learned enough about cars to swap engines twice after high school (both times successfully).

But I was in my 30’s before I had myself a regular driving VW. I found a THING, the VW type 181. It’s a great little 4 door convertible that lets you take off doors and fold down windshields like they did in the war. For a kid that grew up with cars that were ‘that German staff car’ the 181 is the ultimate fun machine. It lets you think REALLY outside the box. Well within a month of me getting mine, my Dad got his. He drove his home almost twice as far as I did in secret and then let the cat out of the bag. I was thrilled to no end. I was being like Dad and Dad was being like me. How could it get any better? Well that was some 4 years ago. I still am trying to be like Dad, and now Dad’s being like Papa (his dad) was. When I was 17-18, Papa gave me his ’68 Chevy Nova. Last week, with Rebecca at 15, he passed the torch. He gave her is orange ’73 VW Thing. I hope someday I’m able to do something similar for my grandchild. The torch is being passed. Rebecca went with me to get my THING and she had a fair amount of input on ‘Friday’ our Vanagon. We ride and talk in the VW’s a fair bit. They’re a part of who we are. They’re in our blood and now My father’s VW is my daughter’s.

And right now, that’s why my Dad is cooler than yours.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Google
Who links to me? Get Free Shots from Snap.com